Friday, July 29, 2011

Professional development | Who's that? A class of 'true' beginners – WSI

I was happy to see the students from my level-checking class return to the social class directly after. In it, I could work more on points from the level-checking class: possessive pronouns and the verb to be.

I scaffolded the social class before practice. 

Narrative:–

To warm-up, I put 'is this your passport? Yes, it is' on some paper then cut it into individual words, shuffled and handed them to the learners. I signalled they should stand holding the paper in order to produce a correct sentence, they should un-jumble it. After a few minutes they succeeded and I placed the pieces, in sight, along the base of the white-board.

Whiteboard: 'name', 'job', 'nationality', and 'marital status'. I elicited from the class the complete question for each, i.e. what's your name – what's your job – what's your nationality – are you married or single?

I then gestured they practise in pairs.

We were encountering some production problems still, after after about ten minutes, so I highlighted, remodelled and drilled it well and signalled they practise again in new pairs.

I marked several columns onto the white-board adjacent 'name', 'job', 'nationality', and 'marital status', and marked learners' names across the top.

Placing several markers on each table I signalled they come up to the board and complete the remaining rows from memory. 

They were able to complete the table.

I now wrote 'who's ... ?' on the board and elicited the complete question 'who's that?' and 'who's this?' shortly before clarifying the differing demonstratives 'this' and 'that' by repeating and pointing hither and thither of where I stood.

Demonstrating roles A and B I said 'who's that?' pointing at a learner, changing position I answered  'that's (learner).' We moved into a controlled-practice stage of the class. With a bit of remodelling and facial expression at the sound of incorrect utterances to keep things on track, it was working well, with learners using the scaffolding we'd built on the board to complete their utterances.

While this was going on, I went about looking through newspapers and magazines around the room in search of possible photographs of any recognisable personality and found one for each learner.

One at a time, the they each stood in front of the class, chested the newspaper photograph and asked 'who's this?' The class chanted back the name, nationality, occupation and marital status of the important types before them, in a much less-controlled way, giving them great practice of the target language and confidence.


I'm looking forward to the next class with these students.


Who's that?

No comments:

Post a Comment